Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Spicy Black Bean Burger

I wanted a burger today. A delicious, spicy, fall apart in your mouth, black bean burger. So I went for it. I pulled out my immersion blender and a bunch of stuff out of my spice rack and came up with this deliciousness. This recipe makes 3 large burgers but sadly I had to use 2 today because there was an incident. I cooked the patty all warm and toasty and while I was transferring the burger to the plate, it slipped off and exploded on impact with the blue kitchen tile. It was the saddest thing I have seen all day. And what made it worse was that it landed cheese side down. Total mess and complete sadness. Hopefully you can make and enjoy this burger without such ultimate sadness that I experienced.

Spicy Black Bean Burger

Ingredients: 


  • 1 can black beans, drained and washed
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup spicy panko breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • Cumin
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Chipotle hot sauce
  • Chili powder
  • Garlic powder
  • Olive oil or choice cooking oil

Directions:

  1. In medium bowl, add washed black beans and onion. Use a  hand blender (or a fork with a lot of elbow grease) and mash most of the black beans leaving about 1/4 of beans still intact. 
  2. To the mashed bean mixture, add the egg, breadcrumbs, hot sauce and spices.  Fold ingredients together until well combined. (Add more breadcrumbs if mixture is too wet.)
  3. Split the mixture into thirds. Ball each third and pat to make a patty. Wrap each patty in plastic wrap and freeze extras or until ready to serve. 
  4. Heat a pan and cooking oil on medium heat. Cook patty until crispy brown on outside and tender in middle.
  5. Serve on bread or lettuce leaves with favorite condiments and toppings. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment