Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spicy BBQ Black Beans

In my previous life as a meat eater, my favorite food (hands down, without competition) was tacos. All that MSG filled ground beef goodness smothered in cheese and sour cream. YUM-ME! So when I made a switch to the vegetarian lifestyle, I played around with some beef replacements. I have tried the soy meat counterpart which was okay but slightly unnatural and not the healthiest replacement. Then, I went the route of the refried beans which was good but it didn't hold up to the substantial feel and taste of the meaty protein I was so familiar with (also, the vegetarian refried beans do not have lard which of course means they were bland as all hell). I realized I needed a healthy alternative so I went to the black bean; a delicious, hearty bean that is already so popular with food of the Mexican persuasion. So, this is the recipe that I have perfected over the past 2 or so years. A little of this, a little of that and there you go! Recently, I made these with some red lentils thrown in which is not only super filling but 1 cup provides 3/4 of your daily recommended amount of fiber as well as being an excellent source of protein and iron.

Spicy BBQ Black Beans

Ingredients: 

  • 1 tbsp Cooking Oil 
  • 1 small onion chopped finely
  • 1 can black beans, drained and cleaned
  • 1 cup red lentils
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp BBQ Sauce (I like Honey Chipotle best)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Hot Sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (or 1 tsp chili powder)
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried Oregano

Directions: 

  1. In a large skillet, heat oil and add chopped onion, cooking until translucent and slightly browned. 
  2. Deglaze pan with water and add beans and lentils. 
  3. Add in all spices and condiments and cook on medium high.
  4. Once boiling, turn down heat and simmer until mixture thickens. (5 to 10 minutes) 
  5. Take the flat end of your spoon or spatula and mash some of bean mixture to get it extra thick. 
  6. Serve immediately and enjoy deliciousness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment