Sunday, April 7, 2013

Eggs and Beans

One spring weekend morning you awake, drag your overslept body into the kitchen and start the coffee maker. You slide across the blue kitchen tile, stare into a very empty fridge and say, "What the hell can I make for breakfast?" 

I had this exact turn of events just the other morning and came up with this fancy looking, pantry based breakfast. Using the Black Bean recipe I posted earlier today as a base and some fluffy scrambled eggs, you too can make this super simple, protein packed breakfast! 

Eggs and Beans

Ingredients:

  • Follow Spicy BBQ Black Bean recipe
  • Eggs *Read Step 2*
  • Hot Sauce (I use Chipotle Hot Sauce)
  • Fresh Squeezed lime juice
  • Pepper Jack Cheese (optional)

Directions: 

  1. Prepare your Black Beans and while your bean mixture is simmering, you can start cooking your eggs. 
  2. I enjoy my eggs scrambled but I make two versions of this. 
    1. For Matt, I use 3 whole large eggs. I crack them, add a tinsy bit of nonfat milk and some ground pepper and whisk furiously until fluffy and mixed thoroughly. In a hot, oiled (or buttered) skillet, I add whisked eggs and some butter. Cook thoroughly and set aside. 
    2. For me, I either use 1 whole egg and some egg whites (a la carton o' egg whites) or just egg whites. I whisk together in a small bowl but just until well combined. I pepper my eggs and cook in a heated and oiled skillet. These will cook quite quickly due to the lack or little amount of yolk. I know yolks have a lot of protein and good nutrients but because of the lentils and beans in the bean mixture, you could total do just egg whites and still reap the benefits of a protein packed breakfast. 
  3. Finish and plate black beans first. Add shredded cheese ontop of beans so it gets all melty and gooey. 
  4. Add scrambled eggs to plated beans. Top with a pinch of salt, some hot sauce and some fresh lime juice. 
  5. Enjoy and eat until satisfied, which you will be because it is so filling and good and yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment