Sunday, April 7, 2013

Whole Wheat Mixed Berry Muffins

Having strong roots in baking, I absolutely love blueberry muffins. I have not had them since I started this diet of mine but I had a bag of mixed berries in my freezer that were just waiting to be used. After some searching, I found a recipe on Cooks.com that had a whole wheat blueberry muffin recipe with honey to replace sugar. I thought this was amazing. One of the commenters used brown sugar instead but replaced the oil with applesauce. A light bulb went off! I thought, "What if I use honey and applesauce?!" So I tried these no oil, no butter, no refined sugar muffins. 

Final thoughts! 
They were a lot more delicious than I thought they would be and ended up being about 100 calories per muffin. I did top them with a little brown sugar and rolled oats which was absolutely delicious but not necessary. 

Whole Wheat Mixed Berry Muffins

Ingredients: 

  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup nonfat milk
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur's Unbleached Whole Wheat Flour)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup mixed berries, roughly chopped
  • Cupcake Liners
Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  2. In a medium bowl, combine egg, milk, applesauce and honey. Mix together until well combined. 
  3. In a larger bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt and mix. 
  4. Pour in liquid mixture to dry mixture folding together carefully. 
  5. Once combined but slightly lumpy, fold in mixed berries. 
  6. In your muffin tin, add linings and spoon dough into each filling it about 2/3 of the way up. 
  7. Optional: Mix in a small bowl 1/4 cup rolled oats and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Mix together and top each muffin with a little bit. 
  8. Bake for 20 minutes. 
  9. Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment